Future Former Fatty Blog 78: Oven Done Lamb Stew
If You Love Lamb, You Have To Try This!
I love Arabic food. I thought I would share one of my favorite lamb recipes with you. You can easily low-carb it by leaving out the potatoes and the rice. That is what I do. I make the traditional recipe. I just leave out the potatoes and the rice from my plate while my family enjoys the meal as it was originally meant to be eaten.
Checkout All The Future Former Fatty Blogs HERE
Oven Done Lamb Stew
- Lamb shoulder chops or Lamb shanks (cut into four pieces by the butcher) (2 chops per person, or three to four cut shanks per person
- 2 large onions halved and the cut into thin slices
- Carrots cut into 1-inch pieces or baby carrots
- 2 to 3 large russet potatoes (1 potato per 2 to 3 people) cut in half, then halved again, then each half cut into thirds, or cut into thick slices
- 1 12 oz. can of tomato paste
- 2 to 3 cans of water (using the tomato paste can as your measuring cup)
- 2 to 3 cloves of garlic, sliced
- Salt, pepper, allspice to taste
- Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a deep pan, lightly coated with olive oil, add onion slices, potato slices, and carrots. Toss with salt, pepper, and allspice to taste. I am liberal with the allspice. Mix well so that vegetables are all well coated. Place pan in the oven and bake one hour.
- While vegetables are baking, brown lamb in large pot (may have to do it in batches) in butter. Season with salt, pepper, and allspice. Add garlic slices and continue to sauté until lamb is browned well on all sides. Add enough water to cover plus one inch. Bring water to a boil. Skim foam off as water boils. Once foam is skimmed off, cover pot, lower heat to medium low, and continue to simmer for thirty minutes. While lamb is simmering, place tomato paste in a bowl or blender. Using the empty tomato paste can, fill the can with water three times and add to the bowl or blender. Blend well until tomato paste dissolved into the water making a sauce. Season lightly with salt, pepper, and allspice.
- After thirty minutes, take lamb out with slotted spoon and place on top of vegetables in pan in oven. Pour tomato paste sauce over the lamb. Continue to cook in oven for thirty minutes. Make rice recipe below. When rice is done, place a serving of rice on a plate. Top with vegetables, sauce, and lamb chop.
Arabic Style Rice (Serves 4 to 6 people)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Large Fistful of Vermicelli
- 1-½ cups of long grain rice or Basmati rice
- 3 ½ cups of water
- 1 to 11/2 teaspoons of salt
- Melt butter in saucepan. Add Vermicelli and brown over medium high heat. (Keep it moving or it will burn, and Vermicelli browns quickly)
- Add rice and stir into the Vermicelli.
- Add water and bring water to a boil.
- Add salt. Cover, lower fire to low, and simmer approximately twenty minutes. Stir occasionally. Add a tiny bit of water if needed until rice is cooked.
- To low carb the meal, leave the rice off your plate. Place lamb chops on your plate. Cover with onion, carrots, and sauce, leaving out the potatoes. Enjoy.
No deprivation in this meal. With or without the rice, this is a hearty meal, comfort food Middle Eastern style.
Keep working on changing your mindset on the way you see food. We want a healthy relationship with food, and a healthy relationship begins with the way you think about food. One of the ways to do this is to try some new, interesting flavors. To experiment with herbs and spices and ethnic foods. Send me some of your favorite family recipes and I will happily add them to these blogs.
Until we meet again, this is Linda Misleh Wagner, Future Former Fatty.
Learn more about Linda HERE
Tagged Control Cravings